From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
GRANEY, a parish, in the barony of KILKEA and MOONE, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ½ mile (E. by S.) from Castledermot, on the road from Baltinglass to Carlow; containing 1135 inhabitants. A nunnery was founded here in the year 1200 by Walter de Riddlesford, which with the manor was granted by Henry VIII. to Sir A. St. Leger, the principal seat of whose descendants was for a long period at Grangemellon, now the property of the Rev. Sir Erasmus Burrowes, Bart., near which are the gateway and some other remains of the nunnery. It comprises 4974 statute acres, as applotted tinder the tithe act, and valued at £3019 per annum, and is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, forming part of the union of Castledermot and of the corps of the prebend of Monmohennock; the rectory is impropriate in — Bunbury, Esq. The tithes amount to £212. 6. 2. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Baltinglass.