GOLDENBRIDGE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

GOLDENBRIDGE, a village, in the parish of ST. JAMES, barony of NEWCASTLE, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (W.) from Dublin, on the road to Naas: the population is included in the return for the parish. The Grand Canal passes close to the village, in which are paper, flour, and pearl barley mills. Near it, in an elevated and healthy situation, are the Richmond Infantry Barracks, consisting of two fronts with extensive courts open to the north and south; these are connected by a row of light and elegant houses, 300 yards in length. On the east and west fronts are two spacious areas, and in the centre a communication through a large portal surmounted by a cupola and spire. They occupy 14 Irish acres, and afford accommodation for 76 officers and 1600 privates; there is also stabling for 25 horses, and an hospital for 100 patients.

A school-house was erected here in 1827 by subscription, aided by a grant of £250 from Government, which is used on Sundays as a chapel for the troops and the inhabitants of the neighbourhood. Near it is a Wesleyan Methodist meeting-house, and an infants' school was erected by subscription in 1835. Here is a cemetery, principally for Roman Catholics, which was purchased and enclosed by the late Catholic Association, at a cost of £1000; the first stone was laid in 1829. It contains about two Irish acres tastefully laid out, with an Ionic temple in the centre, in which the burial service may be performed for persons of every denomination. In two years from the time of its being opened it was nearly filled, about 12,000 persons having been interred within that period, and several handsome monuments erected. Waterloo Spa is in this village: the waters consist principally of sulphuretted hydrogen gas united with carbonic acid and magnesia, and are said to be beneficial in bilious and liver complaints, scrofula, and several other diseases.

« Golden | Index | Googane-Barra »