GLENLOUGH

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

GLENLOUGH, or GLENCAR, an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of ROSSCLOGHER, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing 1524 inhabitants. It was constituted in 1810, by separating 28 townlands from the parish of Killasnet, and comprises 3612 statute acres, chiefly under pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of Killasnet: the income of the perpetual curate is £69. 5., of which £46. 3. is paid by the vicar of Killasnet, and £23. 2. from the augmentation funds at the disposal of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church is a plain neat building, erected in 1821., at an expense of £553. 16. 11., being a gift from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the district of Killasnet, and contains a chapel.

« Glengariff | Index | Glenogra »