GLASSON

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

GLASSON, a village, partly in the parish of BENOWEN, but chiefly in that of KILKENNY WEST, barony of KILKENNY WEST, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. E.) from Athlone, on the road to Ballymahon; containing 33 houses and 154 inhabitants. Here are two corn-mills, one of which is also used for thickening frieze. It is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions for the barony are held on alternate Wednesdays. A patent for a market and fair exists, but they are not held. There is a dispensary, and a penny post to Athlone and Ballymahon has been established.—See BENOWEN.

« Glasslough | Index | Glauntane »