GLANINAGH

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

GLANINAGH, a parish, in the barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 7 ½ miles (W.) from Burren, on the southern shore of Galway bay; containing 545 inhabitants, of which number, 220 are in the village. It comprises about 4200 statute acres, which chiefly consist of rocky mountain pasture; the portion in tillage is manured with sea-weed, an abundance of which is procured in the bay. It comprehends the lofty headland called Blackhead, in lat. 53° 9' 20" and lon. 9° 13', along the north-eastern shore of which is deep water and shelter for large vessels. Several boats belonging to this parish are engaged in the fishery of Galway bay. A new line of road, about four miles in length, is now in progress along the coast round Blackhead, which will nearly complete the line of communication round the coast of the county. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora, forming part of the union and corps of the treasurership of the cathedral of Kilfenora: the tithes amount to £32. 10. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Glyn, or Glenarraha. The ruins of the church still exist in the burial-ground.

« Glanealy | Index | Glankeen »


Library Ireland Facebook