GIRLEY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

GIRLEY, a parish, in the barony of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (N.) from Athboy, on the road from Mullingar to Navan; containing 1480 inhabitants. This parish comprises 4637 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: about two-thirds are grass land of excellent quality, and the remainder under good cultivation, with the exception of a considerable tract of bog extending into the neighbouring parish of Burry; there are some thriving plantations. The principal seats are Drewstown, the residence of F. McVeigh, Esq., a handsome house in a highly improved demesne; Johnsbrook, of J. Tandy, Esq., pleasantly situated in grounds tastefully embellished; and Triermore, of T. Rotheram, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Athboy; the rectory is impropriate in Dominick O'Reilly, Esq. The tithes amount to £207. 1. 7., one-half payable to the impropriator and the other to the vicar; there is no glebe-house; the glebe comprises 1 ½ acre. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Kells; the chapel at Fordstown is a handsome modern building, erected in 1800. About 60 children are taught in a private school, of which the school-house is occupied rent-free. There are some remains of the ancient parish church.

« Giltown | Index | Glanbane »