GERNONSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

GERNONSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER SLANE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ¼ miles (W.) from Slane, on the road from Slane to Kingscourt; containing 925 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2394 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is of good quality and is nearly equally divided between tillage and pasture. The principal seats are Tankardstown, the residence of Mrs. Hopkins, situated in an extensive demesne surrounded by thriving plantations: and Rochestown, of J. Blakeney, Esq. The mail coach road from Dublin to Londonderry skirts the parish on the east. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and part of the union of Stack-allen: the tithes amount to £230. 15. 4., and the glebe comprises 20 acres of profitable land. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Slane; the chapel at Rushwee is a small plain building. A R. C. school is about to be placed under the New Board of Education, and about 50 children are taught in a private school.

« Gernonstown (Louth) | Index | Giants' Causeway »