GAROMNA

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

GAROMNA, an island, in the parish of KILLANIN, barony of MOYCULLEN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 20 miles (W.) from Galway, on the North side of Galway bay: the population is returned with the parish. This island forms the western side of Greatman's bay, and between it and the island of Arranmore is the North Sound, or entrance to the bay of Galway. It contains 1427 statute acres, of which about one-third consists of arable land and the remainder of mountain pasture and bog.

The inhabitants depend for support chiefly on the fishery, which is here extremely precarious; and in 1831, when the famine desolated this part of the coast, they were driven to the utmost state of destitution until relieved by the London Committee. On the north-east side of the island is a small pier, originally erected by the late Fishery Board, but having been destroyed, it was subsequently rebuilt with funds from the charitable societies, and is now of great utility. The sounds between this island and the adjoining ones are dry or fordable at low water: about half a mile from the south side is Englishman's Rock, which is dry at ¾ ebb. In the R. C. divisions it forms a parish or district of itself, and has two chapels, one of which is a small thatched building. In its immediate vicinity is Innisbaraher, an island containing 32 acres of arable land and 30 of bog and mountain pasture.

« Garfinagh | Index | Garranamana »