FRIENDSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

FRIENDSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER TALBOTSTOWN, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (S. E.) from Dunlavan, on the road to Stratford-upon-Slany; containing 324 inhabitants, and comprising 1572 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is in tillage and pasture, and agriculture is improving. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, forming part of the union of Dunlavan; the rectory is appropriate to the Dean and Chapter of St. Patrick's cathedral, Dublin. The tithes amount to £69, of which £43. 3. 1. is payable to the lessee of the dean and chapter, and £25. 16. 11. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Dunlavan. Here are the ruins of an old church.

« Freshford, or Aghoura | Index | Fuerty »


Library Ireland Facebook