FOYNE'S ISLAND

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

FOYNE'S ISLAND, in the parish of ROBERTSTOWN, Shanid Division of the barony of LOWER CONNELLO, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (N.) from Shanagolden, near Lehy's Point, on the southern shore of the river Shannon: the population is returned with the parish. This place has been recommended by Capt. Mudge, the Government engineer, as affording extensive and secure anchorage for shipping, and consequently as a proper situation for the construction of docks and quays; at present it is seldom resorted to by mariners, but the steamers plying between Limerick and Kilrush call off the island to take up passengers. There was formerly a battery of 24 guns on the island, erected for the protection of the shipping trade of the river. On the south side is a handsome marine villa, the summer residence of the Earl of Dunraven; and there are several neat cottage residences in different parts of the island.

« Foxford | Index | Fractions, East and West »


Library Ireland Facebook