FORGNEY, OR CLONCALL

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

FORGNEY, or CLONCALL, a parish, in the barony of ABBEYSHRUEL, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. E.) from Ballymahon, on the road to Mullingar; containing 2241 inhabitants, and comprising 5832 statute acres, of which 4446 are applotted under the tithe act; 32 acres are woodland, 1945 arable, 1782 pasture, and 2073 bog and waste, being almost exclusively the property of the Countess Dowager of Rosse. A canal passes within a quarter of a mile of the parish. The seats are Newcastle, that of the Countess Dowager of Rosse, situated in a demesne of more than 480 acres; Cloncallow, of W. T. Murray, Esq.; Creevagh, of R. Sandys, Esq.; Prospect, of T. Bradin, Esq.; Clinan, of Bevan C. Slator, Esq., and Forgney, of W. Atkinson, Esq.

The living is a perpetual cure, in the diocese of Meath, comprehending the parishes of Forgney and Nogheval, and in the patronage of the Bishop, to whom the rectory is appropriate. The tithes amount to £200. The church is a plain building, enlarged, in 1810, by a donation from the Countess Dowager of Rosse, and to the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £316.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Moyvore, and contains a chapel. A free school is supported by Lady Rosse and the Bishop of Meath; and there is a school under the National Board, in which are 80 boys and 55 girls. There are the remains of an old church, adjoining which is a burial-place. Oliver Goldsmith was born at Pallice, in 1728; the house is now in ruins.

« Fore | Index | Forkhill »


Library Ireland Facebook