FINOGH

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

FINOGH, or PHINAGH, a parish, in the barony of BUNRATTY, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, l ½ mile (N. W.) from Six-mile-bridge, on the road to Ennis; containing 1021 inhabitants, and comprising 2632 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is in general of good quality, and chiefly under tillage, and the state of agriculture is gradually improving. Fairs are held at Rossmanaher on Jan. 6th, May 10th, June 15th, Sept. 12th, and Oct. 16th, mostly for sheep and pigs. Immediately adjoining is Rossmanagher, the seat of Lieut.-Colonel William O'Brien. The other seats are Deer Park, that of E. Mansell, Esq.; Springfield, of F. Morice, Esq.; and Streamstown, of E. Wilson, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe; the rectory forms part of the union of Tomfinlough, and the vicarage, part of the union of Kilfinaghty. The tithes amount to £150, of which two-thirds are payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Six-mile-bridge. About 30 children are educated in a school under the superintendence of the parish priest. The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial-ground, and at Rossmanagher are those of an ancient castle.

« Finnoe | Index | Fintona »


Library Ireland Facebook