From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
FINNOE, a parish, in the barony of LOWER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 1 ½ mile (W. S. W.) from Burris-o-Kane, on one of the roads from Nenagh to Portumna; containing 1399 inhabitants, and comprising 4003 statute acres, of which about 800 are bog; the remainder being mostly pasture land. A lake, covering about 60 acres was drained about 10 years since; the land is reclaimed, and very productive, and the state of agriculture generally is much improved.
Large quantities of shell marl are found at Springfield; and there is plenty of limestone for the purposes of agriculture, and for building. A small river, called Ballyfinboy, separates this parish from Burris-o-Kane, and empties itself into the Shannon at Castle-Biggs.
The principal seats are Finnoe House, the residence of T. Waller, Esq.; Ormond Cottage, of S. Waller, Esq.; Rodeen, of J. Falkiner, Esq.; Bell Park, of T. Robinson, Esq.; the glebe-house, of the Rev. Pierce Goold; and Bellgrove, the property of — Lennard, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, episcopally united in 1790 to the rectory and vicarage of Cloghprior, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £217. The glebe-house, situated on a glebe of 4a. 3r. 26p., half a mile from the church, was built by aid of a gift of £400, and a loan of £400, in 1819, from the late Board of First Fruits; there is also a glebe of 28 acres, for which the incumbent pays £17 per annum. The church is a neat edifice, repaired and improved by aid of a loan of £323, in 1822, from the same Board.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilbarron; there is a chapel on the townland of Firgrove, which is on the boundary of Finnoe and Kilbarron. About 70 children are taught in a private school. Ballyfinboy castle is a square tower in good preservation. Many large elk horns have been found at Springfield bog; and on that townland there is a strong chalybeate spa, only partially used.
In Popular Rhymes and Sayings of Ireland (first published in 1924) John J. Marshall examines the origin of a variety of rhymes and sayings that were at one time in vogue around different parts of the country, including those which he recalled from his own childhood in County Tyrone. Numerous riddles, games and charms are recounted, as well as the traditions of the ‘Wren Boys’ and Christmas Rhymers. Other chapters describe the war cries of prominent Irish septs and the names by which Ireland has been personified in literature over the centuries.
The book is also available as a Kindle download.
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.