FEWS

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

FEWS, a parish, in the barony of DECIES-WITHOUT-DRUM, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, l ½ mile (W. N. W.) from Kilmacthomas, on the river Mahon; containing 1247 inhabitants, and comprising 5986 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Its surface is chiefly mountainous, and in several places commands fine views towards the ocean. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, forming part of the union of Mothill; the rectory is impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire. The tithes amount to £221. 10. 9. of which £147. 13. 10., is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Kilrosanty and Fews, and has a neat chapel.

« Fethard | Index | Fiddown »


Library Ireland Facebook