ENORELY, or ENERILEY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ENORELY, or ENERILEY, a parish, in the barony of ARKLOW, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Arklow to Wicklow, and on the eastern coast, opposite the Arklow sand-bank, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Arklow; containing 874 inhabitants, and comprising 4574 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, with a considerable tract of sandy coast. The gentlemen's seats are Buckroney House, the residence of M. McDonald, Esq.; Kilpatrick, of J. Byrne, Esq.; and Ballyrogan, of E. Byrne, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, separated from Arklow, by act of council in 1833, and now forming part of the union of Kilbride: the tithes amount to £110. A small part of the parish is included within the perpetual curacy of Redcross. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Newbridge and Baronisky. On the grounds of Kilpatrick are two raths or moats. The church is in ruins.

« Ennistymon | Index | Errigal »


Library Ireland Facebook