ENNISNAG

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ENNISNAG, a parish, in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 5 ½ miles (S.) from Kilkenny, on the King's river, and on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford; containing 550 inhabitants. It comprises 1200 statute acres, of which 10 are woodland, 950 arable, 200 pasture, and about 40 waste. There are two flour-mills. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and the corps of the treasurership of the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £169. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £400 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1821; the glebe comprises 18 acres. The church, a neat modern structure, was erected by aid of a gift of £900 from the same Board, in 1815, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £124 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Danesfort.

« Ennismain | Index | Ennistrahull »


Library Ireland Facebook