EMATRIS

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

EMATRIS, a parish, in the barony of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N. E. by E.) from Cootehill, on the roads to Clones and Monaghan; containing 7541 inhabitants; and comprising, according to the Ordnance survey, 12,297 ¾statute acres, of which 590 ½ are under water, and 10,793 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £8985 per annum. The soil is a rich shallow loam, on deep stiff clay, very difficult of cultivation: there is some bog, and about 400 acres of underwood.

The weaving of linen to a small extent is combined with agriculture. Petty sessions are held on alternate Wednesdays at Rock Corry. Dawson Grove, the noble mansion of Lord Cremorne, stands in a demesne of more than 1000 acres, embellished with lakes adorned with islands, on which grows the finest timber; some of these islands embrace remarkable views, particularly that of Bellamont forest: in one of the woods is a temple containing a beautiful group of marble statuary to the memory of Lady Ann Dawson: on a rising ground in the demesne, and close to the public road, is a handsome column, erected by public subscription, to the memory of Richard Dawson, Esq., who represented the county of Monaghan in five successive parliaments. The other seats are Freame Mount, the residence of R. Mayne, Esq.; Glenburnie Park, of C. Stewart Corry, Esq.; Tanagh, of Capt. C. Dawson; Dromore Lodge, of Lieut. Dawson, R. N.; New Park, of Dacre Hamilton, Esq.; and Cremorne Cottage, of the Rev. N. Devereux.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £365. The church, picturesquely situated in the demesne of Dawson Grove, is a handsome building with a tower, and was recently repaired by a grant of £100 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there is a chapel at Edergole, and another at Coravockan, a neat slated building. There are a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Seceding Synod, of the second class, and three for Wesleyan Methodists.

The parish school is aided by an annual donation from the rector, and £10 from Lady Cremorne, with grass for a cow and a house rent-free; in this school about 60 children are instructed. There are seven other public schools, one of which is an infants' school with a sewing school attached, under the patronage of Mrs. Devereux. There are also three hedge schools, in which are about 120 boys and 50 girls; and four Sunday schools. A Clothing Society, for supplying the poor with blankets, &c., is aided by Lady Cremorne, T. C. S. Corry, Esq., and the rector; and a lending library is supported by general subscription. Near Freame Mount is a very large rath, occupying an acre of land, and commanding a number of Toghers, or bog passes, flanked by two smaller ones.

« Diocese of Elphin | Index | Emerick, or Imphrick »


Library Ireland Facebook