EARLSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

EARLSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ¾ miles (E.) from Callan, on the road from Desart to Thomastown; containing 679 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the King's river, here crossed by a stone bridge, and comprises 2916 statute acres. Kilcoran is the residence of J. Baker, Esq.; and Newtown House, of the Rev. B. Morris. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Kells: the tithes amount to £197. 9. 9 ¼. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union of Callan, and contains a chapel. Here is a private school of about 100 children. At Castle-Eve are the remains of an old castle, with a moat and fortifications; in the Newtown demesne is a square tower castle, in a good state of preservation; and there are some small remains of the old church, with a burial-ground.

« Eagle Island | Index | Easkey »


Library Ireland Facebook