St. John's Parish, Dublin
From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
St. John's parish contains 4351 inhabitants, and 291 houses valued at £5 and upwards, the total annual value being £9846. 10. It was erected into a prebend with cure of souls in the cathedral of Christ-Church, in 1554, and is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter; the minister's money amounts to £118. 9. 3., and the gross income of the prebendary is £398. 2. 8. The church, situated at the corner of John's-lane, was rebuilt in 1773: it presents to Fishamble-street a neat front adorned with four Doric columns supporting a pediment, and approached by a broad flight of steps: in this front is the chief entrance to the body of the church and one to each of the galleries. In 1836 it underwent a thorough repair, for which a grant of £879. 9. 7. was made by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There are parochial schools for boys and girls, two national schools for boys and girls, a Sunday school, and an evening school for adult males.