St. James's Roman Catholic Parish, Dublin
From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
St. James's parish comprises nearly the whole of the Protestant parish of the same name. The duty is performed by a parish priest, who is also chaplain to the county gaol of Kilmainham, and by four officiating clergymen. The chapel, which is situated at James-gate, is about to be taken down and a new building erected. There is a chapel at Dolphin's Barn for the accommodation of that populous district; and also a nunnery of the Carmelite order, consisting of a superioress and a sisterhood of 16, established in 1834, in the same neighbourhood, attached to which is a free school for girls. There is a National school for boys and girls; also St. James' and St. Joseph's Orphan Society, which maintains 50 children. The Catholic cemetery, Golden-Bridge, described under that head, is in this parish.