St. Andrew's Parish, Dublin
From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
St. Andrew's was formerly united to St. Werburgh's, but the union having been dissolved in 1660, it was by act of parliament erected into a separate parish, and in 1707 the present parish of St. Mark was by another act formed out of it. It contains 7870 inhabitants: the number of houses valued at £5 and upwards is 731, the total annual value being £46,022. The rectory, the annual income of which is £346. 8. 3 ½., forms the corps of the precentorship of St. Patrick's cathedral: the vicarage is in the gift of the Lord-Chancellor, the Archbishop of Dublin, the three Chief Judges, and the Master of the Rolls; the amount of minister's money is £529. 15. 1. The church, situated in St. Andrew's-street, opposite Church-lane, was commenced in 1793, and completed in 1807, at an expense of £22,000. It is of elliptical form, 80 feet by 60, whence it has acquired the popular name of the Round Church: over the principal entrance, which is at the extremity of the lesser axis of the ellipsis, is a statue of St. Andrew bearing his cross; and at the opposite end is the communion table, reading desk, pulpit, and organ loft, with galleries for children on each side of it. The parochial school for boys and girls is supported by an annual sermon and the rent of the lands of Phrompstown. An alms-house for 28 widows, founded in 1726 by Dr. Travers, is supported by the weekly collections in the church.