From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
DRUMCAR, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ½ mile (N. by E.) from Dunleer, on the river Glyde, and near the high road from Dublin to Belfast; containing 1634 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 4041 ½ statute acres, of which, 3712 are applotted under the tithe act, and 18 ½ are in the river Glyde. The soil is fertile and the lands are mostly under tillage; the system of agriculture is in a highly improved state; there is neither waste land nor bog. Two streams, abounding with salmon and trout, unite at a bridge, and form what is thence called the river of Drumcar.
Drumcar, the seat of J. McClintock, Esq., is an elegant mansion, beautifully situated in an extensive and richly wooded demesne, commanding a fine view of the Carlingford and Mourne mountains and the sea; and at Annagasson is the residence of R. Thompson, Esq., pleasantly situated on the sea shore. Petty sessions are held every fortnight, near the seat of Drumcar. The parish is in the diocese of Armagh; the rectory is impropriate in the Lord-Primate, having been purchased by Primate Marsh, for the endowment of such clergyman as his lordship may appoint to it, and subject to the payment of £50 per annum to the perpetual curate of Moylary under certain provisions of the testator's will.
The vicarage forms part of the union of Dunleer. The tithes amount to £343, of which £292 is payable to the lord-primate and £51 to the vicar; the glebe comprises 11 acres. The ruins of the parish church form an interesting relic on the" demesne of Mr. McClintock; the Protestant parishioners attend the church at Dunleer, and divine service is performed every Sunday evening by the curate in the school-room at Drumcar; the old churchyard is still used as a burial-ground.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Dysart: there is no regular chapel, but a house has been given to the priest, in which he officiates. A school is supported by Mr. and Lady McClintock, who pay a master for teaching more than 100 children, and other expenses, amounting to £50 per annum. A school is also supported by Mr. Thompson, in which 40 children are instructed. A religious house appears to have existed here at a very early period.
Charlotte Milligan Fox, sister of the poet Alice Milligan, was a founding member of the Irish Folk Song Society and an indefatigable field collector of Irish traditional music. Her singularly important work on Irish haprers is here presented for the twenty-first century reader. This edition of Annals offers a much greater number of illustrations than were included in the original 1911 publication, a full biographical introduction, an extensive bibliography of the writings of Milligan Fox and an appendix discussing the variant texts of Arthur O’Neills Memoirs.
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.