DOLPHIN'S BARN, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

DOLPHIN'S BARN, a village, partly in the parish of ST. JAMES, barony of NEWCASTLE, and partly in that of ST. CATHERINE, barony of UPPERCROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER. This village, forming a suburb of the city of Dublin, consists chiefly of a long street on the road to Crumlin, partly situated between the circular road and the Grand Canal, which latter intersects the village, and is here crossed by a stone bridge. There are several tanyards, and the extensive dye-works of Messrs. Pims, who have also dye stuff mills at Rudland; and on the Crumlin road are the dyeing and finishing works of Mr. P. Nevin. There is a R. C. chapel in the village, also a convent of nuns of the Carmelite order, who have a school for the gratuitous instruction of about 100 poor female children, and a select school for 12 young ladies.

« Dollardstown | Index | Donabate »


Library Ireland Facebook