DINISH ISLAND

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

DINISH ISLAND, in the parish of KILCROHANE, barony of DUNKERRON, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ½ miles (S. S. W.) from Hogs Head, on the southern side of Ballinaskelligs bay, and about the same distance (W.) from Lambs Head, at the N. W. extremity of the Kenmare estuary, and on the western coast. It is the smaller of the two islands called the Hogs, and, together with the larger one called Scariff, is held by Daniel O'Connell, Esq., M.P., from the Earl of Cork. It is inhabited by three families, who are chiefly employed in the care of cattle grazed on the island. Close to these islands the depth of water is 28 fathoms; between them and Lambs Head are several smaller islands and rocks.

« Dingle | Index | Disert, Kerry »


Library Ireland Facebook