DESERTSERGES, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

DESERTSERGES, a parish, partly in the barony of KINALMEAKY, but chiefly in the East Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Bandon, on the old road from Cork to Dunmanway; containing 6629 inhabitants. It is situated on the south side of the river Bandon, and comprises 15,355 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £9781 per annum. A great part consists of rough pasture and bog; the remainder is under tillage. The land is generally cold, but in some places moderately fertile; an inconsiderable tract, called Cashelmore, is common mountain. Quarries of good slate are extensively worked at Bracna. There is a large flour-mill on the river Bandon, erected in 1835, by Arthur B. Bernard, of Palace-Anne, Esq.; and not far distant a paper-mill. Fairs are held at Mount-Beamish on June 26th, Aug. 1st, Sept. 29th, and Dec. 16th, chiefly for cattle and pigs. The gentlemen's seats are Kilcoleman, the residence of Adderly Beamish, Esq., beautifully situated on the banks of the river Bandon, and surrounded by fine plantations; Cashel, of J. Beamish, Esq.; Mount Beamish, of John Beamish, Esq., M. D.; Kilrush, of A. Poole, Esq.; Kilcoleman-Beg, of W. Lamb, Esq.; Sun Lodge, of W. McCarty, Esq.; Church-Hill, of the Rev. Mountiford Longfield; and Kiel, of John Wren, Esq.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral of St. Finbarr, Cork. The tithes of Desertserges amount to £1045, of which £315 is payable to the appropriators, and £730 to the vicar; the latter also receives the entire tithes of Garryvoe (a merged parish, to which Lord Kingsale presents), amounting to £315. There is an old glebe-house, with a glebe of 73a. 1r. 20p. The church is a good edifice, with a square tower, erected in 1802.

The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, except a small portion of the eastern district, which belongs to Bandon: the chapel, at Agheohil, is a large modern edifice. There are three Protestant parochial schools, in which are some R. C. children; one at Kilrush, supported principally by Capt. Poole, and the clergyman, and two by the Hon. and Rev. Charles Bernard, the curate; one of these, at Moulnarogue, a handsome building, was erected by him in 1835; 180 boys and girls are instructed in these schools. There are also some pay schools, in connection with the R. C. chapel. Numerous forts are scattered over this parish; one, which is the most extensive and in the best preservation, surrounded by earthworks and fosses, stands on the lands of Kilmiran. In the north-eastern part of the parish are traces of the old church of Garryvoe. The remains of Derry castle form an interesting ruin; and several upright stones, called Golanes, seem to have been set up either to commemorate some important event, or to indicate the burial-place of some warrior. At Corron is a very powerful chalybeate spring, the waters of which contain large quantities of sulphur and iron, held in solution by carbonic acid gas.

« Desertoghill | Index | Devenish »


Library Ireland Facebook