DESART, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

DESART, a parish, partly in the barony of IBANE and BARRYROE, and partly in the East Division of EAST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 1 mile (E. by S.) from Clonakilty; containing 744 inhabitants. It is situated on the bay of Clonakilty, and comprises 582 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £401 per annum. Although elevated, about half of it is under tillage, principally for wheat and potatoes; and the remainder is mountain pasture. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, and forms part of the union of Kilgarriffe; the rectory is appropriate to the Dean of Ross. The tithes amount to £75, of which £40 is payable to the appropriator, and £35 to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Clonakilty. On an elevated site near the shore are the ruins of a church, which measured only about 20 feet by 12.

« Dervock | Index | Desert, Cork »


Library Ireland Facebook