DERRYVILLANE, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

DERRYVILLANE, a parish, in the barony of CONDONS and CLONGIBBONS, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (S. E.) from Kildorrery, on the road from Castletown-Roche to Mitchelstown; containing 788 inhabitants. This small parish is situated on the eastern bank of the river Funcheon, and contains 1805 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1663 per annum. The land is generally good, and limestone abounds, which is burnt for manure. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and forms part of the union and corps of the prebend of Glanworth in the cathedral of Cloyne; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Donoughmore: the tithes amount to £164. 7. 9 ¼., of which £97. 15. 5 ½. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. The church is in ruins, but the burial-ground attached to it is still used. In the R. C. divisions, also, it is part of the union or district of Glanworth.

« Derrypatrick | Index | Derryvullen »


Library Ireland Facebook