DERRYGORTREVY, a district parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

DERRYGORTREVY, a district parish, in the barony of DUNGANNON, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (S. W. by S.) from Dungannon, on the road to Aughnacloy; containing 5282 inhabitants. This district was formed in 1819, by setting off 36 townlands of the parish of Clonfeacle, or rather from the ancient parish of Eglish, which was united to Clonfeacle in the 15th of Charles II., and thence the whole was called Clonfeacle. The land is generally good, and in an unimproved state of cultivation. There are rocks of excellent limestone, abundance of freestone, and indications of coal, but none of these have ever been worked. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Rector of Clonfeacle, to whom the entire tithes are paid, and who allows the curate annually £93. 9. 3. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £450, and a loan of £50, in 1822, from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church is a small neat edifice, with a lofty square tower, erected in 1815, at a cost of £800 by the same Board; it is situated on an eminence, half a mile west from the ancient church of Eglish. In the R. C. divisions this district is called Eglish, at which place there is a chapel. The parochial school, near the church, was built in 1825, and is aided by an annual donation from Lord Ranfurly, A school at Gort is partly supported by Lord Caledon; and there are others at Clogherney, Cormullan, and Mullicar. About 40 boys and 20 girls are educated in a private school: there is also a Sunday school.

« Derrygonnelly | Index | Derrygrath »


Library Ireland Facebook