DERNISH, or DERRINISH, an island

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

DERNISH, or DERRINISH, an island, in the parish of AHAMPLISH, barony of LOWER CARBERY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 10 miles (N. N. E.) from Sligo: the population is returned with the parish. This island is situated near the entrance of Milkhaven, on the north-west coast, and contains about 76 statute acres of land, the property of Lord Palmerston. On its south-west side is safe anchorage in all weather in two fathoms. About ½ a mile north of it is Carrignaspanach rock, which lies off the entrance of the haven, and the Tyrconnell rock is about ¼ of a mile from the shore Milkhaven is situated about three leagues east of the point of Ballyconnell; the entrance is difficult, and only adapted for vessels drawing from 6 to 8 feet of water.

« Derg | Index | Derralossory »


Library Ireland Facebook