DEER ISLAND

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

DEER ISLAND, or INNISMORE, an island, in the parish of KILCHRIST, barony of CLONDERLAW, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 3 ½ miles (N. E.) from Kildysart; the population is returned with the parish. This island is situated near the western bank of the river Fergus, about a quarter of a mile from the shore of Kildysart parish, and contains 493 statute acres, which are nearly equally divided between pasture and tillage. It is the property of the Earl of Egremont, and is also called Inchmore, or the "Great Island," being the largest of those by which the Fergus is adorned, and is remarkable for the fertility of its soil. Flax was formerly cultivated here to a considerable extent, and afforded employment to the female population, but it is now only partially grown. There are some vestiges of an abbey still remaining, founded (according to Archdall) at a very early period, by St. Senan of Inniscattery, who appointed St. Liberius, one of his disciples, to preside over it.

« Davidstown | Index | Delgany »


Library Ireland Facebook