From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
CURRIN, a parish, partly in the barony of COOLE, county of FERMANAGH, but chiefly in the barony of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Clones, on the road to Ballyhaise and Stradone; containing, with the town of Drum and the village of Scotshouse (each of which is separately described), 7180 inhabitants. This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 11,372 statute acres, of which 10,987 are in Monaghan, and 385 in Fermanagh. The land is chiefly arable; there are about 200 acres of woodland, but little bog, and fuel is very scarce. There are several lakes in the parish, of which those contiguous to Drum, and to the Hilton demesne, are the most extensive. In addition to agricultural labour, the chief occupation of the inhabitants is the linen manufacture. Hilton Lodge, the beautiful residence of Colonel Madden, is situated on the confines of Fermanagh, and commands a fine view of the neighbouring mountains; the demesne, which is several hundred acres in extent, is well furnished with fine timber, and has a well stocked deer park. The other seats are Minore, that of Captain Cottnam; and Laurel Hill, the property of George Moore, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, united by episcopal authority to part of the rectory and vicarage of Drumkrin, together forming the union of Currin, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £400, and the gross tithes of the benefice to £584. The glebe, which was erected by a gift of £380. 15. from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1828, comprises 60 acres of profitable land, valued at £100 per annum. The parochial church, at Scotshouse, is a neat modern structure in good repair; there is also a chapel of ease at Drum. On the next avoidance it is provided by acts of council, dated Jan. 7th, 1804, and March 6th, 1806, that the union be dissolved, when the part of Drumkrin will be attached to the parish of Drummully.
The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church: the chapel is at Scotshouse. There are two Presbyterian meeting-houses in Drum, one in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class; and one for Seceders, of the second class. There are schools at Scotshouse, Tattenaghcake, Carnagarry, Aghrea, Mockla, Carne, Laurel Hill, Killefargy, and Drum, in which are about 530 boys and 330 girls. There are also three private schools, in which are about 40 boys and 20 girls; and six Sunday schools.
From a sad, comfortless childhood Giles Truelove developed into a reclusive and uncommunicative man whose sole passion was books. For so long they were the only meaning to his existence. But when fate eventually intervened to have the outside world intrude upon his life, he began to discover emotions that he never knew he had.
A story for the genuine booklover, penned by an Irish bookseller under the pseudonym of Ralph St. John Featherstonehaugh.
FREE download 23rd - 27th May
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.