CONEY ISLAND, an island

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

CONEY ISLAND, an island, in the parish of KILLASPICBROWN, barony of CARBERY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT: the population is returned with the parish. This island, which is situated in the bay of Sligo, was anciently called Inishmulcloghy, and is enumerated among the territories settled on the Earl of Strafford and Sir Thomas Radcliffe in 1663. It is at present the property of J. Meredith, Esq., and near it is a small island called Church island, on which are the ruins of the ancient parish church of Killaspicbrown, nearly covered with sand.

« Coney Island, Clare | Index | Confoy »