CLONOULTY, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

CLONOULTY, a parish, in the barony of KILNEMANAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, near the river Suir, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Cashel, on the high road from Tipperary to Thurles; containing 3600 inhabitants, and comprising 9720 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; about 80 acres are underwood, 480 bog, and the remainder are good arable and pasture land; the substratum is limestone. The gentlemen's seats are Cappamorrough, the residence of J. Green, Esq., and Woodford, of J. Murphy, Esq. Fairs are held on July 5th and Nov. 12th, and petty sessions every alternate week. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £461.10. 9 ¼. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £150 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1789: the glebe comprises 15a. 0r. 22p. The church is in bad repair, and application has been made to the Commissioners for the erection of another. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Clonoulty and Clogher, in the former of which are two chapels, situated respectively at Clonoulty and Rossmore. The parochial schools are supported by the incumbent; there is a school for R. C. children, for which a house was built at Clonoulty, at an expense of £114, by Mr. W. Reilly, of Cashel, who also contributes £10 per annum towards its support, and a school at Rossmore; about 230 children are instructed; and there is also a pay school, in which are about 30 children.

« Clonoghill | Index | Clonpet »