CLOGH, or CLOUGH, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

CLOGH, or CLOUGH, a village, in the parish of DUNAGHY, barony of KILCONWAY, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Broughshane; containing 121 inhabitants. This place is situated at the junction of several roads, on the acclivity of a hill near the Ravel water, and comprises 20 houses. It is the head of the manor of Old Stone, and contains the manorial court-house, in which the court was formerly held once in three weeks; but the court leet only is now held there. The court-room is large and of good proportions; adjoining it is a jury-room, and underneath are two rooms for debtors, against whom decrees have been issued out of the manor court: it is maintained by the barony. On a high rock which overlooks the village and surrounding country to a considerable distance formerly stood a castle, of which the principal remains are part of a gateway of great strength. Within it there appears to have been a draw well, and beyond it a fosse, which divides the surface of the rock into two equal parts: the foundations of various buildings may yet be perceived. It is stated by tradition to have belonged originally to the Mac Quillans, until taken from them by the Mac Donnells, the result of a great battle fought on the mountain of Ora or Slievenahera. At an early period a nunnery is also said to have stood on this rock. Fairs are held on Feb. 8th, April 4th, May 27th, Aug. 5th, Nov. 8th, and Dec. 9th, chiefly for the sale of cattle, and a great number of ponies are brought to them from the highlands of Scotland.—See Dunaghy.

« Clody | Index | Cloghan »