CASTLERAHAN, a parish
From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
CASTLERAHAN, a parish, in the barony of CASTLERAHAN, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER; containing, with the post-town of Ballyjamesduff, 6960 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Virginia to Mount-Nugent, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 10,315 statute acres (including 102 ½ in Lough Ramor), of which 9722 are applotted under the tithe act. Contiguous to the town is a small lake, near which a shaft was sunk some few years since, and indications of coal were discovered. The gentlemen's seats are Fort Frederick, the residence of R. Scott, Esq., and Mount Prospect, of T. Nugent, Esq. Since the census of 1831, nine townlands have been separated from this parish to form, with portions of other parishes, the district parish of Ballyjamesduff, which see. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £304. 1. 10. ½. The church, a small ancient building, is in very indifferent repair. The glebe-house, a handsome residence, was rebuilt in 1818, by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £1500 from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 350 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Munterconnaught and Ballyjamesduff. The chapel, a large handsome edifice, erected in 1834, at an expense of £2000, is situated in the townland of Cormeen. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class. The parochial school is supported by subscription aided by an annual donation of £10 from the rector; a school at Clonkuffe has an endowment of two acres of land by the Bishop, and is aided by subscription; and there is a school at Ennagh, supported by Miss Sankee. In these schools about 160 boys and 60 girls are instructed; and there are four pay schools, in which are about 220 boys and 100 girls. Near Ballyjamesduff (which see) are two Danish raths.