CARDANGAN, or CURDANGAN, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

CARDANGAN, or CURDANGAN, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER; containing, with part of the town of Tipperary, 2345 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Tipperary to the glen of Aherlow, and extends into a plain which for its fertility and beauty is called the Golden Vale: it contains some of the richest land in Ireland, although occasionally alternated with heathy mountain. The principal seats are Brookville, that of J. Sadleir, Esq., and Ballyglass, of Mrs. Slattery. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, and is part of the union and corps of the prebend of Lattin in the cathedral of Emly; the rectory is impropriate in William Moore, Esq. The tithes amount to £153. 15., of which £102. 10. is payable to the impropriator, and £51. 5. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Lattin. Here is a free school under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, which is more particularly noticed in the article on Tipperary, also a pay school, in which are about 30 boys and 10 girls.

« Carbery, Kildare | Index | Cargan »


Library Ireland Facebook