CAPPAGHWHITE, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

CAPPAGHWHITE, a village, in the parish of TOOM, barony of KILNEMANAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 6 ½ miles (N.) from Tipperary; containing 695 inhabitants. This place, which has been much improved within the last forty years, and contains 115 houses, is situated on the new line of road from Tipperary to Nenagh, to the former of which it has a penny post. It is a constabulary police station; fairs are held on June 4th, July 27th, Sept. 29th, Nov. 16th, and Dec. 21st; and there are a R. C chapel and a dispensary. Cappagh House is the residence of Mrs. Fitzmaurice Hunt. Five hundred acres of land near the village were, about seven years since, leased by Colonel Purefoy to the Mining Company of Ireland, who after incurring some expense in searching for copper, relinquished the enterprise.

« Cappagh, Tyrone | Index | Cappamore »


Library Ireland Facebook