CAPELL, or CABLE ISLAND

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

CAPELL, or CABLE ISLAND, in the parish of KILMACDONOUGH, barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S.) from Youghal. This island, which is uninhabited, lies at the entrance to Youghal bay, off Ring Point, in lat. 51° 53' 30", and lon. 7° 51' 30". Being high and precipitous, it is difficult of access, except in calm weather; its south-western side has been much excavated by the waves, and at the base of some of the cliffs are huge detached masses of rock. It is the property of the Marquess of Thomond, and contains about 30 acres of excellent pasturage for sheep. Its elevation and central position point it out as an admirable situation for a lighthouse, which would be of great benefit to vessels entering Youghal bay and to the trade of Cork harbour. On this island the Capells, or Supples, as they are called in Irish, are said to have landed at the period of the first English invasion, and from them it takes its name, although it is laid down in most charts and maps as Cable Island; but so early as the reign of Richard III., and frequently since, it is mentioned in the charters of Youghal as Capell Island, having been made one of the boundaries of the admiralty jurisdiction and port of Youghal, as well by land as by water.

« Cape Clear Island | Index | Cappaclough »


Library Ireland Facebook