CANNAWAY, or CANNABOY, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

CANNAWAY, or CANNABOY, a parish, in the barony of EAST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER; containing, with the village and post-town of Killinardrish, 1518 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the south side of the river Lee, and is connected with the parish of Macroom by a noble bridge at Coolcour, and with that of Magourne by the ancient bridge of Carrigadrohid. It contains 5414 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4274 per annum. There are about 300 acres of woodland, 100 of bog, and a good deal of rocky waste; the remainder is almost equally divided between pasture and arable land, the latter producing good crops; there are also some dairy farms, the butter from which is sent to Cork market. At Barnateampul is a tract of bog, which supplies the inhabitants with fuel. The river Lee here flows with great rapidity, particularly after heavy rains, when it inundates the adjacent country to a considerable distance. The scenery presents an alternation of rock and meadow, the latter receding into small deep glens covered with wood, which produce a very pleasing effect.

The principal seats are Killinardrish House, the residence of R. Crooke, Esq.; Nettleville Hall, of R. Neville Nettles, Esq.; Llandangan, of S. Penrose, Esq.; Rockbridge Cottage, of Lieut.-Colonel White; Forest, of T, Gollock, Esq.; Oak Grove, of J. Bowen, Esq.; Coolalta, of W. Furlong, Esq.; and an elegant Italian lodge, lately built by R. J. O'Donoghue, Esq. Petty sessions are held at Shandangan every alternate Wednesday.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is part of the union of Kilcoan and corps of the prebend of Killaspigmullane, in the cathedral church of St. Finbarr, Cork. The tithes amount to £267. 6. 1 ¾., of which £55 is payable to the prebendary, and the remainder to the vicar. The church is a plain building, with a lofty square tower, on a high hill about a mile and a half west of Killinardrish; its erection was aided by a gift of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1814. There is no glebe-house, but a glebe of about five acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmurry; there is a neat chapel at Barnateampul. The male and female parochial school is chiefly supported by the vicar, as is also the Sunday school.—See KILLINARDRISH.

« Canice (St.) | Index | Canon Island »


Library Ireland Facebook