CAMMA, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

CAMMA, a parish, in the barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (W. N. W.) from Athlone; containing 4115 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Athlone to Mount-Talbot, and comprises 10, 114 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is chiefly under tillage; there are about 648 acres of bog, but no waste laud; the system of agriculture is improving; limestone is quarried for agriculture and other uses. The principal seats are Lysterfield, that of J. Lyster, Esq.; Curraboy House, of J. Byrne, Esq.; and Milltown, of G. King, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, and is part of the union of Kiltoom; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Kingsland. The tithes amount to £195, of which £85 is payable to the impropriator, and £110 to the incumbent. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, including also the parish of Kiltoom; there is a chapel at Curraboy, and also one in the parish of Kiltoom. At Carrick is a national school, in which are about 80 boys and 30 girls: and there are four pay schools, in which are about 160 boys and 70 girls. Only the ruins of the. old parish church, with a burial-ground, remain; and there are some ruins of the old castle of Curraboy, built by the Dillons, near which are several raths or forts.

« Camlough | Index | Camolin »


Library Ireland Facebook