CALLABEG, or KILNASEAR, also called LOUGHMOE-EAST, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

CALLABEG, or KILNASEAR, also called LOUGHMOE-EAST, a parish, in the barony of ELIOGARTY, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ½ miles (S. E.) from Templemore; containing 1600 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Suir, which separates it from Loughmoe-West, and on the road from Templemore to Thurles, and comprises 3417 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. On the townland of Killahara is a very fine old castle, which formerly belonged to the Purcells, and is now the property of Mr. Trant. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and is part of the union of Templetuohy and corps of the prebend of Kilbragh in the cathedral of Cashel: the tithes amount to £249. 17. 9. There is a pay school, in which are about 30 boys and 20 girls.

« Caledon | Index | Callaghan's Mills »


Library Ireland Facebook