CAHIRULTAN, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

CAHIRULTAN, a parish, in the barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, contiguous to the town and within the demesne of Castlemartyr. This parish, at a very early period, belonged to the Knights Templars, and subsequently to the Knights Hospitallers; it afterwards merged into the parish of Ballyoughtera, and both appear to have formed the ancient parish of Ballymartyr. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, united by an act of the 9th of Anne, cap. 12, with Ballymartyr and Mogeely or Imogeely, under the name of Castlemartyr, and constituting the corps of the prebend of Cahirultan in the cathedral church of St. Colman, Cloyne, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes for the whole amount to £435. 12. 7 ½ . The ruins of the old church are in the park of Castlemartyr. The glebe-house and glebe are in the parish of Imogeely; the glebe of the union comprises 22a. 3r. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union of Imogeely, or Castlemartyr.

« Cahirnarry | Index | Cahirvally »


Library Ireland Facebook