CABINTEELY, a village
From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
CABINTEELY, a village, partly in the parish of KILLINEY, but chiefly in that of TULLY, half-barony of RATHDOWN, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 6 ½ miles (S. S. E.) from Dublin: the population is returned with the respective parishes. This place, which is situated on the road from Dublin to Bray, is a constabulary police station, and has a twopenny post to Dublin: it comprises a number of small irregularly built houses, and a R. C. chapel for the union or district of Kingstown. In the vicinity are several handsome seats, the principal of which is Cabinteely House, the residence of the Misses Byrne, descended from the O'Byrne dynasty of Wicklow; the house forms three sides of a square, commanding extensive views of the bays of Dublin and Killiney, with the beautiful adjacent country; and the demesne is adorned with thriving plantations and presents many natural beauties. Among the other seats are Brenanstown House, the admired residence of G. Pim, Esq.; and Glen-Druid, of Mrs. Barrington. Near Loughlinstown, on the right of the road leading to Bray, is the site of an extensive encampment, held there in 1797 and for several years after the disturbances in 1798. At Glen-Druid there is a very perfect cromlech, consisting of six upright stones supporting one of 14 feet by 12, which is supposed to weigh about 25 tons.