From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
BURRISHOOLE, a parish, in the barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with the market and post-town of Newport-Pratt, 11,761 inhabitants. This place, from a bull of Pope Innocent VIII., dated February 9th, 1486, appears to have been distinguished as the seat of a monastery for friars of the Dominican order, founded by Richard de Bourke, Lord Mac William Oughter, head of the Turlough family, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. The monastery was granted to Nicholas Weston, who assigned it to Theobald, Viscount Costello-Galen; there are still some remains. The parish is situated on the north-east shore of Clew bay, and on the high road from Castlebar to Achill island: it comprises 12,550 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The lands are chiefly under tillage; and many of the islands in Clew bay, which are within the parish, afford good pasturage for sheep. There is a large tract of mountain and bog, about two-thirds of which are reclaimable. Salt-works were formerly carried on here. The principal inhabited islands are Mynishmore, Inish-na-crusna, Inish-cougha, Inishurken, Inishtubride, and Inishturk. There are two large lakes in the parish, called Lough Feagh and Lough Furnace; and on the narrow neck of land between these are the ruins of an old smelting furnace; there is also another at the old abbey. The river of Burrishoole, on which is an excellent salmon fishery, has its source in these lakes. The principal seats are Newport House, that of Sir R. Annesley O'Donell, Bart.; Newfield, of J. McLoughlin, Esq.; Seamount, of Connell O'Donnell, Esq.; Tymore, of J. T. S. Stuart, Esq.; Newfort, of J. Hilles, Esq.; and Abbeyville, of J. McDonnell, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £350. The church is a neat plain structure, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £338. 9. 3. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £360, in 1819, from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 5la. 3r. 26p. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains two chapels, one at Newport-Pratt and the other at Newfield, both good slated buildings. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists, open each alternate Wednesday and Friday; and a Presbyterian minister attends occasionally and performs divine service in the parish school-house. There are twelve public schools in the parish; that at Trienbeg is aided by an annual donation from the Marquess of Sligo, and a school-house at Newport-Pratt was erected at the expense of the Rev. James Hughes, P. P. In these schools are about 1300 children; and in a hedge school at Carrig-a-neady are about 20 children. There are the remains of a castle, formerly belonging to the O'Malley family; also several Druidical caves, many of which contain large rooms arched over with flags. A patron is held here on St. Dominick's day, the 4th of August.—See NEWPORT-PRATT.
From a sad, comfortless childhood Giles Truelove developed into a reclusive and uncommunicative man whose sole passion was books. For so long they were the only meaning to his existence. But when fate eventually intervened to have the outside world intrude upon his life, he began to discover emotions that he never knew he had.
A touching story for the genuine booklover, written by an Irish bookseller under the pseudonym of Ralph St John Featherstonehaugh.
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.