BOLY, or GALVOLY, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BOLY, or GALVOLY, a parish, in the barony of ELIOGARTY, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Thurles; containing 426 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called Galbooly, and is situated on a branch of the river Suir, comprises 1268 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1012 per annum. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and is part of the union of Borrisleigh and corps of the treasurership in the cathedral of Cashel; the rectory is impropriate in John Bagwell, Esq., a minor. The tithes amount to £110, which is equally divided between the impropriator and the treasurer. There is a pay school, in which are about 70 boys and 30 girls.

« Bolinalea | Index | Bonafoble »