BOHOE, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BOHOE, a parish, partly in the barony of MAGHERABOY, but chiefly in that of CLANAWLEY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 5 ½ miles (W.) from Enniskillen; containing 2581 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Enniskillen to Sligo, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 15,058 ½ statute acres, of which 6151 ¼ are in the barony of Magheraboy, and 8907 ¼ in that of Clanawley. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £120. The church, a plain edifice, was erected by aid of a gift of £200 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1777, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £157. 10. for its repair. There is no glebe-house; the glebe comprises 142 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district, of Devenish or Derrygonelly, and also part of that of Innismacsaint; the chapel, an indifferent building, belongs to the union of Devenish. The parochial school is supported by an annual donation from the incumbent, aided by subscription; and affords instruction to about 50 boys and 30 girls; and there are four pay schools, in which are about 150 boys and 70 girls. The mountain of Belmore, in this parish, has an elevation of 1312, and that of Glenkeel 1223, feet above the level of the sea.

« Bohillane | Index | Bohola »