BLENNERVILLE, a small sea-port town

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BLENNERVILLE, a small sea-port town, in the parish of ANNAGH, barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 1 mile (W.) from Tralee, containing 532 inhabitants. It is situated on the bay of Tralee, and consists chiefly of one street extending from a bridge over a small river which empties itself into the bay along the road to Dingle, and containing 88 houses, most of which are neatly built and roofed with slate. On the opposite side of the bay is an oyster bed, which with the fishery in the bay affords employment to a portion of the inhabitants. An extensive trade in corn is carried on with the port of Liverpool. Fairs are held on May 9th, Sept. 15th, Oct. 25th, and Dec. 19th; and there is a penny post daily between this place and Tralee. The Tralee ship canal, now in progress, will pass under the north end of the bridge and extend to the channel at a place called the Black rock; it is supposed that this work, when completed, will nearly annihilate the trade of Blennerville, which has hitherto been the port of Tralee. A portion of the slob on the east side of the bridge has been lately embanked by Mr. Blennerhasset, of this place. The parish church, a neat modern structure with a square tower, is situated in the town; as are also the Protestant and R. C. school-houses, and at Curragrague is a school under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity.—See ANNAGH.

« Blasquet Islands | Index | Blessington »


Library Ireland Facebook