BLANCHFIELDSTOWN, or BLANCHVILLESKILL, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BLANCHFIELDSTOWN, or BLANCHVILLESKILL, a parish, in the barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Gowran; containing 224 inhabitants. This small parish is situated near the mail coach road from Dublin to Cork, by way of Kilkenny, and comprises 660 statute acres: the land is good and is principally under tillage, and there is plenty of limestone. Blanchvillestown, situated in a very neat demesne containing some fine timber, is the property of Major-General Sir J. Kearney, and is held on lease by the Rev. Theobald Butler. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Kilfane and corps of the archdeaconry; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of Christ-church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £69. 10. per annum, of which £46. 6. 8. is payable to the vicars choral, and £23. 3. 4. to the archdeacon. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Gowran. There are some remains of the old church at Blanchvilleskill.

« Blanchardstown | Index | Blaris »


Library Ireland Facebook