BLACKWATER, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BLACKWATER, a village, partly in the parish of BALLYVALDEN, and partly in that of KILLELY or KILLILA, barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 7 miles (N. E. by N.) from Wexford; containing 58 houses and 255 inhabitants. It is situated on the old coast road from Wexford to Dublin, about a mile from the shore of St. George's channel; there is also a direct road hence to Enniscorthy, about eight miles distant. Fairs are held on March 25th, May 12th, June 1st, Aug. 10th, and Nov. 10th. It is a station both of the constabulary police and the coast-guard: the latter, which is one of the eight comprised in the district of Gorey, has a detachment at Curracloe. The R. C. chapel of the district is situated in the village.

« Blackwater | Index | Blackwatertown »


Library Ireland Facebook