BLACKROCK, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BLACKROCK, a village, in the parish of HAGGARDSTOWN, barony of UPPER DUNDALK, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (E.) from Dundalk; containing 434 inhabitants. This place is situated on the bay of Dundalk, and contains about 80 houses, which are neatly built. The beach is smooth and soft, and peculiarly adapted to sea-bathing; and, if due accommodation were provided for visiters, it might become a watering-place of general attraction. It is at present much frequented, during the summer season, by the farmers of the inland counties, both for the purposes of bathing and drinking the sea-water. Alexander Shekelton, Esq., of Dundalk, has a beautiful marine villa here. —See HAGGARDSTOWN.

« Blackrock | Index | Blackwater »